4 Steps for Re-balancing: How to Give Yourself the Gift of Energy

Feeling a bit flat? This can happen at any time of the year! Whether it’s heading into the new year or smack in the middle of winter we’ve got a few tips for bringing you back to balance.

Tip 1: Make sure you’re getting the nutrients you need

A great diet is the foundation of any re-balancing plan.  That doesn’t mean you have to start eating nothing but rabbit food – but it does mean incorporating lots of fresh, tasty, nutritious foods into your meals.

In practice, that means eating lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fats to provide a wide range of essential nutrients. And if you know your nutrient intake could do with a bit of a top-up, think about adding a multivitamin to your daily routine.

Tip 2: Watch your sugar intake (but don’t deprive yourself)

Tip 2: Watch your sugar intake (but don’t deprive yourself)

Have you ever heard of the 80/20 rule? It’s a pretty good idea to apply throughout your week when it comes to sugary treats – try to make better choices 80% of the time, but allow yourself treats for the other 20%. If you demand 100% perfection from yourself, you’re bound to slip up at some point and feel like a failure. If you just aim to eat healthily “most of the time” though, you’re much more likely to stick to your intentions.

Remember that not all treats need to be sugar explosions either. For example, next time you get a chocolate craving, instead of fighting it, consider a sugar-free chocolate option, and this might sound a little boring, but try a glass of water, that hunger, may just be thirst!

When re-balancing, reducing sugar can help in two ways, you’ll likely be making better food choices (see tip 1) but it can also make you feel more energised as your blood sugar levels will be more stable.

Tip 3: Get the sleep your body needs

Tip 3: Get the sleep your body needs

Good quality sleep is such an essential part of re-balancing. Not only does getting enough sleep help to energise and refresh you, but it also makes choosing healthier options in the rest of your life far easier.

Everyone’s sleep requirements are different, but most of us need between 7-9 hours a night. We also generally do better with a regular sleep routine. That means going to bed at around the same time each night, and getting up at around the same time each morning.

Of course, going to bed is only the first step – not everyone drifts off the moment their head hits the pillow. If getting to sleep, or staying asleep, is an issue for you, try a magnesium supplement.

Tip 4: Aim to live a generally happier, more relaxed lifestyle

So many day-to-day frustrations and niggles can leave you tensed up. A big part of rebalancing is recognising what your personal stressors are, and putting together a plan to deal with them right now, and as they re-occur. This means, that if you find yourself not sleeping well, or not eating as many veggies as you could, there’s not as much to get tense about anyway so what does stress you out, feels easier to manage.

A few options to consider for help in this area might include:

  • Try some reflective, self-calming practices, such as meditation, yoga or journaling – there are many types of each of these, so take time to explore and see if you find one that’s right for you.
  • Consider a nutritional stress support option – again, there’s magnesium or herbs like passionflower and St John’s Wort.
  • Slow down for a weekend and find what you really enjoy doing, this could be spending more quality time together with your family, going to the beach, reading a book – do more of it!
  • Engage in a form of exercise you enjoy! If you really love that 6am spin class, or taking your dog for a walk makes you happy try to do this regularly. Those endorphins are so good for your mood!