Need an example? How about Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6 and Magnesium?
Four important individual nutrients that work together to support all kinds of functions in our bodies are Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6 and Magnesium. In combination, these four nutrients can help to:
- maintain your heart health, and maintain healthy arteries, bones, muscles and nerves
- provide support during times of mental fatigue, and muscle cramps, spasms and tension
- support healthy skin and wound healing, and help with acne
- support immune health
- support reproductive health
Other ways the four nutrients work together
Of course, all four nutrients don’t have to be present together for your body to use them. Sometimes just two or three of them can work together in combination. For example:
- Vitamin B6, Magnesium and Zinc: Vitamin B6 increases the amount of Magnesium that your cells can absorb.
- Zinc and Vitamin A: Zinc can help your body absorb and use Vitamin A, especially in people who tend to be low in these nutrients. On its own, Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that helps to protect cells from free radical damage. Combined with Zinc, it can also help support skin, eye and prostate health, and women’s reproductive health.
In summary, it’s all about synergy
The word “synergy” means the effects of something as a whole are greater than the effects that its individual parts would have. That’s exactly how nutrients work when you get them from fresh, wholesome food – or at minimum, from a well-balanced, high-quality multivitamin and mineral tablet. Getting your nutrients in combination with each other is the smart way to help avoid deficiencies, and help your vitamins and minerals work together synergistically.