- 1 1/2 cups pitted dried dates, soaked in recently boiled water for 10 minutes and then drained and squeezed thoroughly
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 heaped cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup Healtheries 99% Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Baking Bits
Vanilla Mascarpone Filling
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
Chocolate Ganache Topping
- 100ml cream
- 100g Healtheries 99% Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Baking Bits
- 1/2 tsp freeze dried raspberry powder (alternatively you can pile fresh raspberries on top when in season)
Store the cake in the fridge for 4- 5 days.
- Preheat the oven to 165°C and grease and line the base and sides of a spring form cake tin.
- Place the dates into a food processor and process until you have a roughly chopped mixture. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides a few times during the process.
- Add the coconut oil, vanilla, baking powder and cocoa powder and process until well combined.
- Add the eggs and 3/4 cup of the raspberries and process until everything is only just combined.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and fold through the ground almonds, 1/4 cup remaining raspberries and dark chocolate bits.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled slightly, remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack (invert the cake onto the rack so the bottom is now facing up).
- When the cake is completely cool, invert it right side up onto a serving plate. Using a serrated knife cut an indent all the way around the outside of the cake and then carefully cut through the cake so you end up with a cake that is cut in half through the middle. Using a palate knife or large knife and a spatula remove the top half of the cake and place it on the wire rack.
- Make the chocolate ganache by placing the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once it is almost (but not) boiling, take it off the heat and add the chocolate. Leave to stand for 2 minutes then carefully mix together until smooth and silky. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling (it will thicken as it cools).
- To make the filling mix together the mascarpone, vanilla and maple syrup in a bowl until smooth. Spoon the filling onto the bottom half of the cake.
- Using the spatula and other utensils, carefully lift the top half of the cake and place on top of the filling.
- Once the ganache has cooled and thickened slightly, pour it over the top of the cake allowing it to run over the edges. Sprinkle the ganache with freeze dried raspberry powder and set aside in the fridge until you are ready to serve.